Blocked drains are never pleasant, often causing a significant amount of disruption. Even worse is a blocked drainage system that constitutes an emergency due to the inability to use your homes water supply without fear of it backing up.
Easier said than done, keeping calm and collected is the best way to get the problem resolved before any further damage is sustained. In this article, we’ll provide an overview of what to do in the event you ever experience a severe drain blockage.
Public and Private Drainage
The drainage network beneath your property is usually your responsibility or that of your landlord. It only becomes the responsibility of your water utility company once the drainage runs enter the main sewer or any section of pipework that acts as a collector for any neighbouring properties.
If you’re experiencing a severe blockage, first try asking your neighbours whether they have noticed any problems as the issue could be with the main sewer itself. If your neighbours are also affected, get in touch with your water company immediately.
If the problem is only present at your property, you will need to call on the services of a drainage company for further assistance.
Check for the Presence of Leaks
If your blockage is accompanied by a leak, turn off your homes water supply immediately. The blockage may have caused this leak if you were running a tap at the time so this water won’t have anywhere to drain to.
Your water supply can be turned off at the stop clock or tap which is usually found where the water supply enters your home. Other common places include:
- Underneath your kitchen sink
- Inside a kitchen cupboard
- In a garage or utility room
- In the basement or cellar
- Underneath the stairs
Once your water supply has been turned off, call a drainage company to provide further assistance.
24 Hour Emergency Call Outs
Most drainage companies will be able to provide you with an immediate call out service. 3 Flow Drainage operate across Essex and as part of their service offering can provide emergency assistance. Simply conduct a quick web search to find a suitable drainage company in your area.Some services that will be available include;
- Emergency toilet unblocking – Most homes only have one toilet so it is important that it is working again quickly. Once the blockage is cleared, they will also be able to advise on the likely cause so that you can prevent it from reoccurring.
- Unblocking sinks and basins – A blocked sink means that it cannot be used until the problem is fixed. If your kitchen sink, this could make life difficult in the preparation of food and cleaning your home. Your drainage contractor will be able to find the cause of the problem and unblock the drain.
Most drainage companies won’t even charge a call out fee in the event of an out of hours emergency. This means that you will only be required to pay for their time and any materials used.